Why am I so obsessed with cat feet? I must always pet cat feet when they are near. THEY ARE SO DAMN CUTE!
(1) I’ve been having sexy dreams about the pretzels at Easy Tiger.
(2) WE TIED FOR FIRST AT GEEK BOWL VI!!!! When our team name was called we all had “Oscar face” (y’know, that ARE YOU SHITTING ME look). And then we buckled under the pressure of an on-stage tie-breaking round. I will never again forget the following:
Michelle Obama is the child of Fraser and Marian Robinson;
the currency of Hong Kong is THE (Hong Kong) DOLLAR;
Bernie Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison,
there are only TWO UN member nations whose name begins with a “Z” (why do I keep forgetting that Zaire changed its name?!), and
Michael Jordan was a five-time regular season MVP (150 x 2 - 5 = 295).
There was another question we tanked, but I don’t remember that one. I hope it never gets asked again!
Yeah, not gonna lie. I pretty much forgot I had a tumblr until I was clearing out my approved applications on Facebook. And then for a week or so it didn’t cross my mind again. Not sure why I’ve decided to care now, but the “new year” thing got to me and I decided to once again try to be good at this blogging stuff.
It’s been six months and a boatload of stuff went down. If anyone who reads this (does anyone read this?) follows me on FB, G+, or Twitter you know this stuff so you can skip ahead.
So here we are in January. I’m still going to PT for my ankle and I still want to move to West Hollywood. (Want to give me a well-paying job?) Not a whole lot else has happened yet. But I have decided to start purging. Stuff & people though, not my food. Food is too awesome.
Oh, and I will be 37 this year. It’s freaking me out! :(
P.S.: Meet my new friends.
Surprise! Once again I have been lax with my tumblring, but I’ve been concentrating a lot on G+. It has some kinks to work out, but I’m really a fan (reminder: http://gplus.to/thejanice). Ugh, I need to get my shit together. I keep saying I want to turn this into something good. We all know everything that flows from my fingers is pure gold, but, as previously discussed, I am pretty lazy.
I am not prepared to catch up on my best/worst meal. For over a week now all food/beverage that I have consumed has angered the gut gods and at this point I don’t remember what I ate before July 16. So even if it tasted good, I felt like total crap after, which puts everything on a level playing field. At the doctor’s request I have temporarily cut out dairy and fried foods and I have been trying to take a probiotic. (No, those friend pickles with ranch did NOT count. What happens at Master Pancake stays at Master Pancake.) The doctor thinks it may be gallbladder-related, which makes sense if you know anything about the ladies of my family. Blood test results came back normal though.
(FYI: I HAVE PERFECT BLOOD SUGAR! suck on that!)
In other news, you may or may not be a fan of chick flicks but Friends With Benefits (Timberlake/Kunis) was pretty dang funny. I definitely enjoyed it more than the Kutcher/Portman version of the “friends who try to have a non-committal sexual relationship” tale that came out earlier this year. I found Kunis’s character more personally relatable I suppose. Plus, she’s hot like whoa.
I’ll leave you with this affirmation. It is totally normal to sing songs to your cats.
I’ve been eating cantaloupe, along with watermelon and some grapes, nearly every morning for breakfast. It has totally been improving my mood, at least for a little while until the day’s disasters strike. So I think I’m going to just come straight out of the gate declaring breakfast cantaloupe as my best meal of the week. And I am going to bestow the honor of worst meal to the cucumbers I got from the office cafeteria. Horribly bitter and nearly ruined my (slightly modified) caprese salad.
I also got a new girlfriend this week. She’s beautiful and classy. She’s obviously “the better half” in this partnership. Meet Fancy Lola.
I’ve also ventured into the world of Google+. I like it for the most part. But I really don’t get people who sign up and make posts to the tune of ”OK, now what?” You joined a social network. Be social. Engage the people you’ve purposefully linked yourself to. If you have no idea what G+ is or the point of it all, read anyone of the gazillion articles out there or just don’t join up. I’m not saying I win at G+, but I am saying you can throw me in a circle and you might be moderately informed/amused. http://gplus.to/thejanice
I have been [mildly] obsessed with a few things recently.
This was a surprisingly low-stress week at work aside from moving offices. My new spot is smaller and I see people pass by my window all day long, but I’m learning to like my digs. I’ve already settled in and have my stuff all set up, including my new Harry Potter Lego set.
I fee like I’m lacking focus outside of work though (more than usual). I’m not sure if it’s just me being lame/lazy or if it’s because work has me so tired. I feel like I need to be more creative, but my brain is a big ol’ blank. I’m also thinking I should turn this blog into something with more focus, but I feel as though the blogosphere is so saturated with things I’m interested in (fashion, beauty, food, tv, & movies). And I’m just not sure I can muster the brain power necessary to find a way to differentiate myself, right now anyway. There’s also that oh-so-common self doubt-y thought “who really gives a shit what I think?” Blah blah blah. Wah wah wah. I suppose my mid-30s are just making me obnoxiously introspective and mid-life-crisis-y. Just ignore me, I’m totally having a LiveJournal moment.
On the other hand, I’m pretty proud of myself. Usually when I get the blahs it leads to massive amounts of shopping (clothes & shoes), but I’ve managed to limit my spending and (mostly) focus it on practical things for the house, like a pretty fatigue mat for the kitchen.
And in more good news, I went back to trivia for the first time in forever. We won. Team Dong is unstoppable!
Best meal: pizza made at home (thin crust, jalapeno tomato sauce, asparagus, green olives, italian 4-cheese blend)
Worst meal: mediocre salad from the work cafeteria salad bar
Working too much. Again. So I’ll just say a few things and do another best/worst.
(1) I work too much. (Wait, did I already say that?) This needs to stop. I left work today at 8:30pm. Not cool. (I got there at 8:30am.) My new mandate: no more than 2 hours of overtime per day and no more than 8 hours of overtime per week. Even that sounds depressing.
(2) Thankfully the excessive working hasn’t screwed up my left arm again. I enjoy having use of it.
(3) I missed out on tickets to a midnight screening of Harry Potter. :( *shakes fist at work*
(4) I finally saw Bridesmaids again. BRIGHT SPOT! It was just as funny the second time around. Maybe even funnier. I noticed a few subtle laughs I missed the first time around. I love you, Kristen Wiig.
(5) I went to a lovely, worthy-cause charity event for Grounded in Music. It was a fancy hat & champagne event. My hat wasn’t so fancy, but the champagne & sparkling wine was yum. There were some really interesting champagne cocktails that I’ll have to try on my own (add homemade flavored simple syrup). And the sommelier-led tasting had my favorite Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs (2007). Yes, I know it’s technically a sparkling wine, but just know that they hold themselves to the same set of rules followed by sparkling wines from the Champagne region of France. </end nerd talk> And the Travaasa Austin was gorgeous! I almost didn’t notice that it was painfully hot outside.
(6) Best meal: asparagus + jalapeno + red onion pizza from Salvation. my favorite pizza.
(7) Worst meal: we bought gluten-free pasta made with pea protein. it was so gross.
(8) OH YEA! Buffy has not been slaying roads lately. I am disappointed in her. First her battery dies out of nowhere (no warning wheezes) and then she goes and picks up a giant nail. A new battery and a new tire all in the same week. I smell sabotage.
(9) October can’t come soon enough!
(10) I just wanted this to be even.
Okay, I am a little behind on my first best meal/worst meal post so this first one will cover the last week and a half.
Best Meal: hands down it would be (last night’s) dinner at Blanco Cafe’s original location at Blanco & Elsemere in San Antonio. I had my usual cheese enchilada plate w/ ranchero sauce and double rice. Any week I have this meal it’s the best by default, but since I’ve made it my first I’ll disqualify it in the future.
Worst Meal: definitely Monday’s dinner at Cafe on the Square in San Marcos. I had grilled cheese + jalapeno with onion rings. Seemingly innocuous, but it the bread was greasy, the cheese wasn’t properly melted, and the onion rings were on par with the store-brand frozen kind. To be fair, it wasn’t terrible. I mean, I *did* eat it. But for an established, well-reviewed cafe I expected something better than what I can get at Sonic.
Genius! On the drive home I had a great idea for a weekly post: best meal/worst meal.